Disaster Recovery, or DR, is always an important subject when moving to any new system. We’ve all had the experience of a cell phone going missing and losing all our photos, or a hard drive crashing and losing our precious documents. But the stakes are much higher when the very survival of a business depends on the success or failure of the DR process. Just to put your minds at ease: Pinewood SA has invested heavily to ensure that there are multiple ways in which your data is backed up, to cover any and every potential eventuality.
Pinewood DMS is hosted at the Telkom Cybernest Data Centre in Bellville, Cape Town. The Data Centre itself is state-of-the-art, and has been awarded ‘Tier 4’ status. This requires it to have:
- Multiple independent distribution paths serving the IT equipment
- All IT equipment must be dual-powered and fully compatible with the topology of a site’s architecture
- All cooling equipment is independently dual-powered, including chillers and heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems
- Fault-tolerant site infrastructure with electrical power storage and distribution facilities with expected availability of 99.995%
This means the allowable downtime for the data centre itself is only 26 minutes per year!
The environment in which your data is hosted is top notch, but what about the data itself? All-in-all, Pinewood DMS is backed up 4 times.
- The Pinewood DMS servers are virtualised in a cluster. This effectively means that if one or more servers go down, there will be absolutely no impact on your business, as Pinewood DMS is passed seamlessly to another server within the cluster.
- SQL Server Transaction Log Shipping is used to back-up all the data to standalone DR servers every 15 minutes. In the event that the whole cluster fails, these DR servers will take over.
- Data Protection Manager (DPM) backs up data from the Live servers (nightly)
- DPM backs up data to the Microsoft Azure Cloud (nightly) from DPM01
Your data is your business. Let us at Pinewood SA look after it and join the #PinewoodDMSFamily.